Motor Vehicles

March 2007

The official receiver must deal with motor vehicles owned or under the control of the insolvent as a matter of some urgency. Motor vehicles can be the cause of possible liability for the official receiver and it is thus imperative that they be dealt with in the most effective manner as soon as possible. 

NB: No action should be taken by any case officer to dispose of a vehicle without specific instructions from the examiner as to the appropriate way in which it should be dealt with. 


1) Early information 

In debtor's petition cases the details of motor vehicles in the bankrupt's possession will be included in the statement of affairs. The examiner will give instructions to deal, if necessary, after the initial review of the statement of affairs or after the interview.

In all other cases, the details of motor vehicles in the possession of an insolvent must be included in the initial telephone enquiries into a case. The bankrupt or director will be interviewed as soon as possible but any vehicle that has not been dealt with before the interview could give rise to problems for the official receiver. Creditors often have information about vehicles which they are willing to pass onto the official receiver and can also be contacted in this regard where necessary. 

The official receiver needs the following information for each vehicle in the insolvent’s possession: 

  • precise details of the vehicle, including make and model, colour and registration number; 

  • the location of the vehicle; 

  • name, address and any contact telephone number for the person holding the keys; 

  • details of any finance agreements relating to the vehicle; 

  • details of any insurance cover held. 


2)  How does the official receiver establish who owns the vehicle?

(Amended January 2013)

Obviously, before the official receiver can take any action regarding a vehicle, he/she must be certain that the vehicle is the property of the insolvent. The registration document is usually a good indication as to the ownership of the vehicle although the document in fact only shows the identity of the registered keeper of the vehicle. 

To ascertain unconfirmed details of the registered keeper(s) of a vehicle, and vehicle registration and licensing details enquiries will need to be made with the DVLA. Applications for details of a vehicle history need to be made on form VQ615.

Form VQ615 should be completed in black ink and in capital letters. The form needs to be completed correctly in its entirety otherwise it will be returned by the DVLA. Guidance on completing the VQ615 is available HERE. Box one of this form is where details of the official receiver’s office making the request should be entered. Where two offices are twinned by one official receiver it is the official receiver’s primary office address which should be inserted  in box one and the text in the first paragraph of the template should be completed accordingly. Box one also requires the ‘Data protection registration number’ of the official receiver making the request. A list of the individual official receiver’s registration numbers is available HERE.  

Once the form has been completed, a certified copy of the bankruptcy/winding up order should be attached to it and the enquiry sent under cover of the ‘DVLA enquiry letter’ (template available HERE) to Vehicle Record Enquiries, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AJ. Where an official receiver’s office is not twinned with another office, or a twinned office is the primary location of the official receiver in a twinned office setup, the second paragraph of the ‘DVLA Enquiry letter’ should be removed. The DVLA will no longer accept searches submitted on form VQ4 or on Insolvency Service headed paper.

Forms can be ordered from the DVLA stores department by sending a fax, on headed paper, to 01792 783 525 and clearly stating how many pads of form VQ615 are required (a pad contains 50 forms). An example completed form is available HERE.



3)   What if an owners identity is uncertain, or has proven to be a third party?

Where the official receiver is uncertain as to the identity of the owner of a particular vehicle, the bankrupt/director and any third parties involved should be asked to produce further proof of ownership e.g. purchase invoice, copy of any loan agreement, sight of bank statements showing transfer of funds, etc. 

If the vehicle proves to be the property of a third party, the official receiver should generally take no action to realise it. This could be true for example, where a bankrupt is shown as the registered keeper of a vehicle but it was bought by a parent or spouse. However, where the vehicle is subject to an ongoing finance agreement which means that the finance company is still the owner, the official receiver may still realise the vehicle if appropriate (see paragraph vii). 

Otherwise, as long as realising the vehicle will result in a net benefit to the estate, the official receiver must take all the necessary steps to do so.


4) How does the official receiver value the vehicle?

(September 2008)

In general, the official receiver may rely on the Parker’s Guide which can be accessed via the Intranet under 'Useful Contacts' and is updated regularly, to find out the guideline value of a vehicle. In any event, it may be necessary to use agents to value a specialist vehicle, like a vintage car, which is not covered in Parker’s Guide.

It is important for the official receiver to establish the value of the vehicle so that a decision can be made as to whether the sale of the vehicle will result in a net benefit to the insolvent’s estate once the cost of insurance and the agent’s fees, together with any outstanding debt to a finance company, have been taken into account. The value must also be provided on the Willis application form if the official receiver wishes to effect insurance cover on the vehicle.

When establishing the value of the vehicle, consideration should also be given as to whether there is a value to the registration mark, which there may be if the registration mark is considered to be ‘cherished or personalised’ or is in some other way special or unusual.

For more information regarding cherished/personalised vehicle registration marks and how to value them, see Technical Manual Chapter 31.2 – Motor Vehicles, paragraphs 31.2.5 to 31.2.5C


5) Does the official receiver need to insure the vehicle?

(Amended February 2014)

As with any other asset that is to be sold on the official receiver’s behalf, the necessary arrangements should be made to insure the vehicle. The insurance should be effected by completing the necessary forms supplied by Willis (see paragraph 31.2.14 and Part 3 of Chapter 49 for further information). 

If the vehicle is already insured, the official receiver should ask to see the certificate of insurance to confirm that the cover is both adequate and up-to-date. Where the certificate is not available, the broker/insurer should be asked to confirm that the cover exists and is sufficient for the vehicle in question. The insurers should be notified of the insolvency in any event. 

For more information, in particular the monitoring and cancellation of insurance when the case is handed over to an insolvency practitioner, sold or otherwise dealt with, see Case Help Manual part: Official Receiver’s Insurance and paragraphs 31.2.52 and 31.2.71. 


6) What if the vehicle does not have a current tax disc?

If the insolvent has an untaxed vehicle, the official receiver must ensure either that the vehicle is taxed or that the necessary statutory off road declaration has been completed, unless the vehicle is likely to be sold in the very near future. 

Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) is a requirement that means that DVLA, Swansea must be informed if a vehicle is not taxed because it will not be used or kept on the public highway. Failure to make the appropriate declaration can result in a fine of £1,000; keeping an untaxed vehicle on a public road can also lead to a fine of up to £1,000 and making a false SORN declaration when the vehicle is in fact being used or kept on a public road can result in a fine of £5,000 and two years imprisonment. 

The SORN declaration can be found printed in red on the vehicle licence application issued for the vehicle and, once completed, should be forwarded to the appropriate motor vehicle licensing office, the details of which also appear on the licence application form. 


7)  Vehicles subject to finance agreements

(September 2008)

Generally, where a vehicle is the subject of a finance agreement, the official receiver must consider the type and terms of the finance agreement before deciding on the course of action to take. For further information see Case Help Manual part – Assets Subject to Credit

The terms of any hire purchase, conditional sale or leasing agreement usually gives to the other party to the agreement (referred to hereafter as the hiring owner) the right to terminate the agreement in specified circumstances. These circumstances will usually include the making of a bankruptcy or winding –up order and will generally allow the hiring owner to take back the vehicle.

Where a vehicle is subject to a finance agreement, the official receiver should contact the hiring owner. This contact should be by telephone in the first instance, followed up in writing. The official receiver needs to know the nature of the agreement, the amount outstanding under the agreement and the settlement figure required to conclude the agreement and obtain ownership.

From the value of the vehicle in question, the official receiver can then decide whether there would be any benefit to the estate in realising the vehicle. If there is no equity, the official receiver should inform the hiring owner that he/she does not intend to deal with it and that arrangements should be made to collect it as soon as possible.

Where the value of the vehicle is sufficient to allow for a surplus after settlement of any debt to the hiring owner and payment of the agent’s costs of sale, the official receiver should approach the hiring owner for his consent to a sale by the official receiver. Where the likely equity from such a sale is borderline, the official receiver can come to an agreement that the hiring owner dispose of the vehicle and hold any surplus to the official receiver’s order. Such decisions should only be made by the examiner and any relevant correspondence should be passed to them for consideration as soon as it is received.

No action should be taken by a case officer in this regard without the prior agreement of the examiner.

If a vehicle subject to finance has a cherished/personalised registration mark the official receiver will need to establish whose name is on the registration document for that vehicle. It is the registered keeper of a vehicle that has the right to transfer the registration mark, so where a finance agreement is in place, if the finance company are the registered keeper of the vehicle, they will have acquired the rights to that registration mark.

For more information regarding vehicles subject to finance that have a cherished/personalised registration mark, see TM Chapter 31.2 – Motor Vehicles, paragraph 31.2.15A

8) What if the motor vehicle is an exempt asset with low value? 

(Please note that these provisions apply to bankruptcy only.) 

Exempt property does not form part of a bankruptcy estate and is therefore not automatically available to the trustee of that estate to deal with on behalf of the creditors. Amongst the items that may be exempted are motor vehicles that are necessary for the personal use of the bankrupt in his employment, business or vocation or where the vehicle is necessary to meet a basic domestic need of the bankrupt and his/her family. For the criteria that need to be applied when considering if a vehicle is exempt or not see Technical Manual chapter 31.2, part 3 and Case Help Manual part : Exempt Property

It is up to the bankrupt to prove to the official receiver that the vehicle should be treated as exempt. The examiner should record details of the bankrupt’s request for the motor vehicle to be treated as exempt within the narrative statement, or in the supplementary questions to the PIQ. If the official receiver is of the opinion that the vehicle in question is not necessary for the bankrupt’s personal use and the official receiver has reasonable grounds for forming that opinion, then the vehicle can be treated as part of the estate and dealt with accordingly. 

Once the official receiver has decided whether the vehicle is exempt, the bankrupt should be notified on form REPR Exempt property - official receiver’s letter accepting/rejecting claim. All correspondence and documentary evidence relating to the claim and the official receiver’s decision should then be filed on the office file in the event that any dispute arises at a later date. 


9) What if the vehicle is an exempt asset but has value?

(Amended September 2011)

As a reasonable vehicle can be obtained for an amount in the region of £1,000 this is the amount that the official receiver uses as a benchmark when considering the cost of a reasonable replacement vehicle.  Where a vehicle is exempt but there may be a benefit to the estate in realising the vehicle and replacing it with a cheaper alternative under section 308 of the Insolvency Act 1986 the official receiver should consider doing so.

An exempt vehicle should only be taken on the basis of providing a replacement if there will be a net realisation of a minimum of £500 to the estate after taking into account the cost of an agent’s fees and a replacement vehicle.  When considering what would constitute a suitable replacement vehicle the factors that should be taken into consideration are the type of journeys that the bankrupt makes and the frequency and purpose of those journeys. A third party contribution equivalent to the estimated net value to the estate may be accepted to avoid seizure, sale and replacement.   

Depending on the circumstances of each individual case the payment to purchase the replacement vehicle may be made to the bankrupt directly or to the vendor of the vehicle. It is recognised that a bankrupt may be able to obtain a better deal to purchase a vehicle by negotiating a private sale or attending a car auction and in such circumstances immediate access to cash is required. If an allowance from the proceeds of sale is made directly to the bankrupt then the official receiver should request evidence of the purchase of the vehicle within 21 days. See CHM part – Exempt Property 

Where an exempt vehicle has a cherished/personalised registration mark, the value of this should be considered before deciding whether the vehicle is of excess value. For more information on dealing with exempt vehicles with cherished/personalised registration marks see Technical Manual Chapter 31.2 – Motor Vehicles, paragraphs 31.2.25 & 31.2.25A 

For guidance on the various methods and processes of sale, disposal or retention of vehicles and their cherished/personalised registration marks, see Technical Manual Chapter 31.2 – Motor Vehicles, paragraphs 31.2.33 to 31.2.38B  


Paragraphs 10, 11 and 12 have been deleted. Please see Chapter 31.2 Part 3


13)  What if a bankrupt does not wish to retain a vehicle which is of little or no value? 

August 2009

The official receiver cannot simply disclaim a vehicle and abandon it because it is of little or no value. If the scrap (end-of-life) value of the vehicle will provide funds for the estate, the official receiver can instruct agents to arrange for the vehicle to be dealt with by that agent. In practice the costs incurred usually cause a cost to the estate, so official receivers should where possible use the services of the network of Automobile Treatment Facilities (ATFs), that have been set up by the vehicle manufacturers and the recycling industry to deal with ‘end-of-life’ vehicles. ATF providers that take end-of-life vehicles will dispose of them free of charge, and in most cases collection of vehicles is  free of charge. will undertake free collection and disposal of all complete or incomplete vehicles and parts that are accessible, resulting from bankruptcy cases dealt with by official receivers in England and Wales, by utilising the services of an appropriate ATF.

What is a ‘complete’ or an ‘incomplete’ vehicle?

A ‘complete’ vehicle is one that contains its essential components, in particular, engine, coachwork, transmission, catalytic converter (if originally fitted) and wheels. A vehicle does not have to be roadworthy or driveable to be ‘complete’. An inaccessible vehicle that is referred by an official receiver will be considered in order to evaluate the charge (if any) for removal. To assist, full details of the condition, particularly if major components are missing, and the accessibility of a vehicle must be detailed on the ‘on-line assignment form’ (see below) which must be used to instruct Under the current agreement will deal with incomplete vehicles and parts at no cost. would seek the approval of the official receiver prior to arranging any collection where a charge would need to be made.

Instructing bankrupt’s in requesting and ATF staff in making payment for, an ‘end-of-life’ vehicle

Official receiver staff must make it clear to bankrupt’s that where their vehicle is to be dealt with under the Cartakeback scheme, no money will be paid to them. will provide instructions to ATF’s on this matter.

Administrative support provided

In addition to arranging the collection and disposal, as outlined above, can provide administrative support between the official receiver and the individual ATF who they instruct, in effect providing a single point of contact in dealing with scrap vehicles. aim to contact the last owner within four working hours of receiving an instruction, and will usually arrange collection within one or two days. The ATF will report to if there are any difficulties, will in turn liaise with the official receiver, as necessary.

Having dealt with a vehicle, the ATF will notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of the destruction of the vehicle and provide an electronic Certificate of Destruction (CoD), for the official Receiver with case reference details for ease of filing, within seven to ten days.

NB: Motor cycles do not require a CoD when being scrapped.

Procedure for instructing

(Amended December 2012)

An ‘on-line assignment form’ has been set-up and should now be used to instruct regarding vehicles they are to deal with. Each official receiver’s office should by now have been issued with their own log-in ID (directly from which partly pre-fills the assignment form with details of the office sending it. The form must be completed as fully as possible, particularly regarding the location and condition of the vehicle, and with contact details of the instructing official receiver’s staff member and the bankrupt.

Full instructions in accessing and the use of the on-line assignment form are provided by in an ‘On-line Collection Form Introductory Letter’ for official receivers. To view that introductory letter click HERE.

NB:  Any office that has not received their log-in are advised to contact Technical Section for advice by e-mail sent to Technical.Section.

Responses to the ‘on-line assignment form’

When an official receiver instructs utilising the on-line form service they will, over time, receive three e-mails:

  • the first advises receipt of the assignment and provides a unique number for future reference
  • the second advises that an ATF has been instructed to collect the vehicle
  • the third encloses the electronic CoD once the ATF has dealt with the vehicle

Use of other facilities

Official receivers are urged to make as much use as possible of the service provided by to minimise the costs to insolvent estates when dealing with scrap vehicles.  However, offices remain free to use individual local ATF’s, or the alternative network operated by at, or their own agents, based on local office procedures.

For further information see the Technical Manual - Chapter 31.2.42 - Vehicles of little value  

Reporting problems

Should any office experience difficulties in dealing with or individual ATF’s, details should be reported by e-mail sent to Technical.Section to enable the matter to be taken up promptly.


14) What about the registration documents and tax disc? 

(amended June 2010)

The ATF is able to deal with vehicles without any documents but will require a declaration of ownership and must be able to identify the vehicle from its registration mark or VIN number. This enables the ATF to notify DVLA electronically of the destruction of the vehicle and issue a CoD to the official receiver.

Where the vehicle road fund licence (tax disc) has not yet expired on a vehicle which is to be scrapped or collected by a local authority, a refund can be claimed for any whole unexpired months. The official receiver should establish at an early stage whether there is any unexpired tax refund available and instruct the agent to forward the tax disc to the official receiver once it is no longer legally required for the vehicle.

The application for a refund of vehicle tax form (DVLA form V14) needs to be completed by the registered keeper, who would normally be the bankrupt, and sent along with the tax disc to be surrendered to the local Vehicle Licensing Office. Alternatively it can be posted to the Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AJ.

The bankrupt should be informed that once they have received the refund the monies should be forwarded to the official receiver. 


15) The Motability Scheme and bankruptcy

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to obtain a new car, powered wheelchair or scooter, under a contract hire variable lease agreement or under a hire purchase agreement. To be eligible for the scheme the person must be in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance, or in receipt of a War Pensioners Mobility Supplement. A parent or carer may apply on behalf of a child aged three or over who is eligible under the scheme. The beneficiary does not need to be the driver of the vehicle and may nominate two other people as drivers.

In order to establish the type of agreement that exists, if not already known, send form NHP, LOIS (DO73) – ‘Notice to Hire Purchase Company’ (amending or adding any appropriate text as necessary).

The scheme is operated by Motability Finance Limited, City Gate House, 22 Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HB.

Contract hire variable lease agreement

The vast majority (95%) of vehicles funded under the Motability Scheme are by way of a contract hire variable lease agreement. Where a vehicle is supplied under such an agreement the individual is never the legal owner of the vehicle, and neither the vehicle nor the agreement is capable of vesting in the bankruptcy estate. On that basis the official receiver has no interest in the vehicle and is not in a position to object or consent to the individual keeping the vehicle.

Hire purchase agreement

The hire purchase agreement option operates as a traditional hire purchase agreement but is dependent on the individual continuing to receive the qualifying benefit payments. These agreements do vest in the trustee of a bankruptcy estate and are capable of being adopted. However, any action by the trustee is subject to the special terms of the Motability Scheme.

For more information and additional guidance, see Technical Notice T7-08 



Where the insolvent held a standard operator’s licence in respect of a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes used for business purposes, the licence together with the disc(s) displayed in any vehicle(s) should be recovered by the official receiver. The official receiver should inform the issuing Traffic Area Office (part of the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)) of the insolvency and seek a refund of licence fee for any complete unexpired years by returning the licence and disc(s) to them. Further guidance and contact details can be obtained by visiting the VOSA website


Annex A – Removed March 2012

Annex B – Removed March 2012

Where can I find out more? 

Insolvency Act 1986: 

section 283(2) – Definition of exempt property 

section 308, 308(A) – Trustee’s power to claim exempt property of excessive value 

section 359 – Fraudulent dealing with property obtained on credit 

The End-of-Life Vehicles Regulations 2003

Insolvency Rules 1986: 

R4.218(1)(a) – General rule as to priority ( Liquidations) 

R6.224(1)(a) -- General rule as to priority ( Bankruptcy) 

R6.187 – Purchase of replacement property 

R6.188 – Money provided in lieu of sale 

Technical Manual: 

Chapter 30.6 - Motor vehicles as exempt property

Chapter 31.2 – Motor Vehicles

Chapter 32.1 – Employment of agents generally 

Chapter 49.1 - 49.14 – Insurance 

Case Help Manual: 


Assets Subject to Credit 

Exempt Property 

Official Receiver’s Insurance –  ‘On-Line Collection Form Introductory Letter’

To view the introductory letter – Click HERE

Forms to be used: 

NHP Notice to Hire Purchase Company and schedule 

NHP Notice to Hire Purchase Company – agreement not adopted 

Premium Bordereau form (M76/02 Annex 2) 

REPR Reply to Exempt Property Request 

MVCERT Certificate of roadworthiness 

MVREC Receipt of purchase (road licence passed/not passed with the car) 

Annex A Declaration regarding purchase of unroadworthy motor vehicle 

Annex B Section 75 of the Road Traffic Act 

Technical Notice

T26-09 – Dealing with low and no value vehicles through


Motor Vehicles Flowchart 


LOIS references are given in brackets, e.g. (DO73) 

1 On making of bankruptcy order(creditor's petition) or winding-up order, make initial enquiries into case, if not previously done. In debtor's petition cases receive instructions from examiner to deal with vehicle or to obtain more information, if required.

For further information see Case Help Manual part: Initial Enquiries 

2 Obtain precise details of each vehicle in possession of the insolvent. Need to know:

  •  make and model of vehicle, colour, year and registration number; 

  •  location; 

  •  name, address and contact telephone number for the person holding the keys; 

  •  details of any finance agreements; 

  •  details of any insurance cover held; 

  • The date of expiry of the MoT certificate;
    • The date that the Road Fund Licence or SORN declaration expires;
    • The mileage of the vehicle;

    3 Once information received, pass papers to examiner for advice as to action to be taken. 

    4 Where instructed to confirm whether the debtor is, or ever has been the registered keeper of a given vehicle, submit form VQ615 (completed in black ink and capital letters to Vehicle Record Enquiries, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AJ. The enquiry must be accompanied by a covering letter (a template is available HERE). DVLA form VQ4 will no longer be accepted by the DVLA.  The file should contain a note as to why the information regarding a particular vehicle was requested from the DVLA (e.g.  why it is believed that the debtor is or has been a registered keeper of the vehicle concerned).

    5 If vehicle is subject to a finance agreement, send form NHP to finance company (DO73). 

    6 For Motability Scheme vehicles, form NHP should be used if it is known that the vehicle is supplied under a Hire Purchase agreement, or if the type of agreement is unknown. In the latter, when selecting the ‘Initial Information Request’ option, ‘conditional sale’ is to be deleted from item 1) and replaced by ‘Contract Hire’.

    7 Once interview completed, receive file back from examiner. 

    8 Where instructed by the examiner, arrange for the vehicle to be insured by completing necessary form, according to local office procedure. Record action taken on LOIS (CA08). 

    For further information see Case Help Manual part: Official Receiver’s Insurance and
    Technical Manual chapter 49, paragraph 1-14.


    9 Once reply from finance company received pass to examiner for decision whether vehicle is to be sold. If the vehicle is subject to a hire purchase agreement the examiner will consider the type and terms of finance, the value of the vehicle and will then instruct accordingly. 

    10 Where instructed, inform finance company either that: 

    a) the official receiver will not be adopting the agreement (form NHP) 


    b) ask for their agreement to the official receiver disposing of the vehicle and clearing their outstanding debt from the net proceeds of sale. 

    All queries/replies must be referred to examiner before being placed on the correspondence file. 

    11 Once agreement obtained instruct official receiver’s agents, confirming all details of agreement and that any sum due to the finance company is paid before the balance is forwarded to the official receiver. 

    12 Note screen 8 on LOIS of any realisations (CA08). 

    For further information, see Case Help Manual part: Assets Subject to Credit


    13 (amended February 2014) In a bankruptcy, check with the examiner whether the vehicle has been claimed as an exempt asset with low value or excess value. 

    a) if an exempt asset with low value check that form REPR issued in duplicate and a copy given/sent to the bankrupt (DO73). All documentary evidence relating to the claim and the official receiver’s decision to be retained on the file in case difficulties arise later. 

    b) if an exempt asset with excess value confirm with examiner that it is either in order to instruct the official receiver’s agents to sell and replace the vehicle accordingly or provide funds from the sale proceeds to enable the bankrupt to purchase a reasonable replacement. Any insurance cover obtained by the official receiver should be cancelled.

    14 Note LOIS accordingly (CA08/CA15). 


    Offer To  Purchase 

    Bankruptcy only 

    15 Where instructed by the examiner that the vehicle is not an exempt asset but that the bankrupt wishes to retain the vehicle and where not already done so, contact the bankrupt and ask him/her to provide, as a matter of urgency: 

    a) the third party funds for the agreed amount of sale which must be cash, a banker's draft or building society cheque. Personal cheques are not acceptable. 

    b) a current MOT certificate 

    c) the vehicle's registration document 

    d) the return of the signed form MVCERT (certificate of road worthiness) or declaration (see Annex A and B) 

    16 Once all documents and funds received refer to AOR/examiner, according to local office practice, to authorise issue of form MVREC (receipt for purchase of Motor Vehicles). 

    17 If the disposal of the vehicle results in a change of registered keeper send relevant documentation to DVLA. 

    18 The same principles also apply to companies. If a vehicle is sold to a director he/she should provide all relevant documentation as in bankruptcy, including a certificate of roadworthiness. 

    19 Note LOIS accordingly (CA08/CA15). 

    20 If the examiner decides that the vehicle is to be scrapped because it is of little or no value, consideration should be given to utilising the services of They will require a completed Collection Instruction Form. As well as requiring details of the instructing staff, the bankrupt, the vehicle and its location, they will need to know whether it is complete or incomplete and whether or not it is easily accessible.

    In addition to arranging collection and disposal of the vehicle, can provide administrative support between the official receiver and the ATF who they instruct.

    Having dealt with the vehicle, the ATF will notify the DVLA of the vehicles destruction and will issue the official receiver with a Certificate of Destruction within ten days.

    For more information see paragraph xiii

    21 Ensure that the official receiver is provided with a Certificate of Destruction. Place certificate on the office file.

    22 Once the vehicle has been scrapped the ATF will notify DVLA of the destruction of the vehicle.

    23 Receive any unexpired tax disc from the agent. Arrange with the registered keeper to surrender using DVLA form 14. Await receipt of funds from registered keeper (normally bankrupt).

    24 Any insurance obtained by the official receiver should be cancelled on the sale or destruction of the motor vehicle (added February 2014).

    25 Note LOIS (CA08).